Senior Community Engagement Manager
United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut
POSITION SUMMARY: Manages and implements the strategies through which United Way mobilizes people to give, advocate and volunteer.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Year-Round Strategic Engagement: In partnership with United Way relationship managers and community partners, supports engagement of people in opportunities to support United Way’s community goals:
- Includes researching scope of needs/resources with respect to opportunities for volunteers to influence community conditions; conducting community conversations; development of volunteer and other engagement opportunities (e.g. community tours, donated goods that relate to community goals ; and development of recruitment strategies.
- Assists with providing consultation/technical assistance for corporations, affinity groups and other groups seeking to create engagement strategies that meet shared interests. Must have an in-depth understanding of United Way’s brand and community priorities and be able to help conceive and support the development of opportunities that align with it and with organizational strategies, meet the needs and interests of contributors and the broader community, and ensure progress toward community goals.
- Must share public and expert knowledge with prospective and current volunteers and advocates, and must be proactive (i.e. identify opportunities in anticipation of interest of employees/workplaces and community constituents based on organizational knowledge of their aspirations) and timely in response to requests; and must be diligent with implementation of long-term follow-up to ensure ongoing engagement.
- Regional Advisory Boards: Provides staffing leadership to regional advisory board volunteers to include such responsibilities as overseeing development and implementation of regional work plans, in partnership with staff in other departments; contributing to development and management of regional initiatives, partnerships and collaboratives related to United Way’s community goals in assigned geographic areas; as well as contributing to development and implementation of regional corporate engagement opportunities, as assigned. This requires working out of multiple offices.
- United Way Days of Action: Develops and implements one time and/or episodic group volunteer experiences that support community goals. Provides staff support for volunteer committee(s) and coordinates recruitment/management and training, project development, agency and workplace relations, and other related responsibilities.
- Speaker Program: Supports implementation of speaker program, including identification, recruitment, training, support and recognition of ‘issue ambassadors.’
- Performs other duties as required.
- Bachelors degree in human services, development, marketing, social work, public policy or related field. Five years’ experience in volunteer management, corporate community relations, project management, community organizing or other related areas;
- Commitment to excellence and United Way’s mission, vision, values and brand;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including public speaking, group facilitation, training;
- Genuine optimism that volunteers can meaningfully contribute to positive community changes;
- Technology competence that includes expertise with Microsoft Office and database management, as well as willingness to learn new applications as needed and identify innovative ways for technology to support organizational objectives;
- Familiarity with asset-based approaches to community development, volunteerism, corporate philanthropy and mentoring;
- Sales and motivation skills: must possess strong negotiation skills, and/or be persuasive in nature, to build buy-in among internal and external constituents;
- Demonstrated experience with group facilitation skills in working with and managing staff and/or volunteers. Proven ability to inspire, organize, convene, and lead groups. Ability to work with all levels of management and with outside constituents at all levels;
- Project management skills: ability to multitask, problem-solve, prioritize, delegate, and to create systems and processes;
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
The physical demands described in this position description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and may lift objects up to 25 pounds. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
For consideration please forward your resume with a cover letter to:
United Way of Central and Northeastern CT
Human Resources 30 Laurel Street, Hartford, CT 06106
Fax: 860.493.6806 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
EOE – M/F/D/V No phone calls please
Marketing, Communications and Social Media Intern
Middlesex United Way
Effective Dates: Summer 2013
Time Commitment: Hours are negotiable, between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. 15-20 hours a week preferred.
Description of Position: Middlesex United Way is seeking an intern for Marketing, Communications and Social Media. The intern will execute activities as outlined in the annual Marketing and Communications plan under the supervision of the Communications Director.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- A basic understanding/familiarity with current social media platforms
- An understanding of MS Office particularly Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel. Graphics program knowledge in Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
- Read, understand, and learn United Way brand and messaging
- Communications tasks such as proof reading, editing, writing, website updates
- Create flyers, invitations and other graphic design and desktop publishing tasks in compliance with brand identity guidelines
- Assist with event production
- Support the planning Day of Caring, a large scale volunteer event
- Support the development of annual campaign print materials and video
- Assist with video shoot planning and logistics
- Create and implement strategies for social media promotion and research new social media ideas and best practices
- Social media content planning (editorial calendar by week)
- Develop blog articles and social media content
- Other duties as assigned
Salary Range: **For credit, non-paid experience.**
For consideration, please submit resume and 2-3 writing samples to Jennifer Sprague, Communications Director, at Jennifer.email@example.com.
Middlesex United Way is an Equal Opportunity employer.
Boost! Service Corps Member
United Way of Greater New Haven
United Way of Greater New Haven (UWGNH) is in partnership with the City of New Haven and the New Haven Public Schools to coordinate wraparound services to support young people’s overall development and enhance their ability to learn in the classroom. The initiative, called Boost!, is a component of New Haven’s School Change Initiative (to learn more, visit www.NewHavenSchoolChange.org). Boost! addresses wraparound services that fall into four broad domains which have been demonstrated to contribute to young people’s ability to succeed in school and in life: physical health, social and behavioral health, family support and engagement, and extended learning opportunities.
Boost! is designed to improve coordination and facilitate access to critical support services for youth and families, improve the quality of services, promote best practices, make most efficient use of existing and new resources in schools and in the community, and use data to leverage citywide policy and systems change -- all aimed at giving New Haven’s youth the educational foundation they need to escape the cycle of poverty. AmeriCorps VISTA members assigned to UWGNH will join the Boost! Service Corps Team, working to complement ongoing activities of Boost! by helping to coordinate services at the school level, conducting research, resource development, communications and training.
AmeriCorps VISTA is the national service program designed specifically to fight poverty. Authorized in 1964 and founded as Volunteers in Service to America in 1965, VISTA was incorporated into the AmeriCorps network of programs in 1993. VISTA has been on the front lines in the fight against poverty in America for more than 45 years.
Each VISTA member will engage in strategic planning at a Boost! school, assisting the Boost! Coordinator in developing the school’s capacity to provide comprehensive wraparound services. Also, they will participate in developing the overall systemic capacity for wraparound services citywide. Specific duties will include but not be limited to the following:
- Conduct needs assessments to determine needed supports and services at both the city and school levels
- Research best practices and share learning with schools through trainings
- Engage families and community members in supporting student success and developing school capacity to create a welcoming school environment
- Develop and coordinate expanded wraparound program/services between community-based organizations and schools
- Collect and analyze data to report on Boost! programs and monitor program quality
- Provide assistance with resource development/fundraising and communications activities
- Assist in development of Boost! volunteer opportunities
- Assist school-appointed Boost! Coordinator in the management of programs
- Participate in United Way projects and activities that support Boost’s mission and goals
- Education/Youth Development
- Interpersonal and Communications Skills
- Research, writing and editing
- Community Organizing/Motivation
- Conflict Resolution
- Public Speaking
- Data Collection/Analysis
You must apply for this position through AmeriCorps VISTA (click here).